Friday, June 22, 2007

SPB Anniversary countdown: Day 7

The SPB Anniversary show is exactly one week from today! Hurrah. Did I mention it's June 29th at the Sunset Tavern?

In today's edition of the daily countdown to the show, I'd like to chat a bit about a side of the music community that I probably don't spend enough time talking about: The glam/powerpop scene.

There is a side of powerpop that is grittier in its approach to songwriting and image, and that side is well represented here in Seattle. I'm talking about groups who are more influenced by Slade, The Ramones, Nikki Sudden, The Heartbreakers, as well as pieces of 60s Motown, garage and early British rock like The Small Faces.

Across the Pacific NW, you've got bands like The Greatest Hits, The Pop Machine, The Neat, The Nice Boys, Avenue Rose, The Soda Pop Kids, and most importantly for the purpose of this blog, The Knast.

When I received a friend request via myspace from The Knast at the beginning of the year, I was really excited by their sound. They dabble in all the above referenced sounds, but they are also very adept at catchy melodies and hooks.

They will be kicking off the SPB Anniversary show with a prompt 9pm start time. I have to admit this will be my first time seeing them live, and I'm excited about it. Is it dangerous to book a band you've never seen? Maybe, but I like what I hear enough to take that risk!

No comments: