Friday, February 29, 2008

Our Favorite Shop



I love Jive Time Records in Fremont. They specialize in buying and selling used vinyl. Owner David Day is a super nice guy and he’s very knowledgeable about music and records. The store’s a visual and aural treat and a pleasure to spend time in. Be it rock, soul, jazz or blues, whatever you’re looking for you’re likely to find it here in good condition and for a good price. There’s plenty here for power pop lovers too – when I was there last week I picked up the ultra-rare Young Fresh Fellows’ record “A Tribute to Music” for $7.99 (I'm a record geek, what can I say?), Tommy Keene’s “Songs from the Film”, Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians’ “Queen Elvis” and The Bee Gees’ “Odessa” for $3 each. I always spend at least 15 minutes flipping through the 99 cents record bins but by this point I already own most of the good stuff to be had for so cheap, but maybe you don’t? Here’s a list of five of my all-time favorite records that I saw in the 99 cents bins just last week:

Squeezing Out Sparks – Graham Parker
At Budokan – Cheap Trick
Seconds of Pleasure – Rockpile
Mars Needs Guitars – Hoodoo Gurus
David Johansen – David Johansen

No comments: