Monday, January 15, 2007

Monday Morning mp3: Ghosts and Liars

Happy Monday, y'all. I'm happy to share an mp3 with you of one of my favorite new bands and favorite new songs of the past six months.

The band is Ghosts and Liars. Chris DuBray and Rachel Bowman formed the group after their previous act, Some By Sea, called it day. When their first song ("Sunset on the Side") appeared on myspace, I was hooked. It was soon followed by "We'll Carry On," this week's Monday Morning mp3.

Both tunes manage to be both joyous and aching. When I listen it's hard for me to determine if it's joy hiding behind sadness or sadness hiding behind joy. I feel like they're the musical equivalent of wanderlust, that desire to leave your current situation and find a new one, somehow with the promise of happiness. Their songs tug on all the right heartstrings for me.

And, if I might do a little marketing while I'm here, that's the reason that I wanted to get them on the next SPB Powerpop Night taking place at The Comet on Saturday, January 27 -- see the flyer to the right -->.

I can't wait to see them live.

No comments: