Sunday, January 21, 2007

Random Video by The Jam

I was having lunch with Rob from New West Motels the other day and we were talking about how we think the music world changed between the 80s and now, with more and more emphasis being placed on bands being perhaps more avant garde or in other ways "non pop" in their approach. I suppose it might've just sounded like two old dudes complaining that "things were different in our day." But, it's true that anything pop or catchy can be overlooked in certain parts of the music community.

Of course, around here there are some poppy bands that get attention and there are outlets paying attention to folks writing pop songs. So, don't peg me as one complaining too loudly about this stuff. But, it's still an interesting conversation to have. Anyone have thoughts? Hit "comment" below. I'd love to hear your take.

How is it related to the title of this blog post? Well, I was just cruising You Tube and found this video by The Jam and their song "In The City." What's interesting is how the annoucer intros the band. It made me think of my conversation with Rob.

No comments: