Monday, April 23, 2007

Interview with The Lund Bros

1. How do you think others would describe The Lund Bros, and is that the same or different than you'd like to think of yourselves?

Chris Lund (vocals & guitar): We're, in my opinion, a band that emphasizes strong song writing and vocal harmonization. We rock a bit harder than some of the other indy stuff, too. From what I've heard from people attending our shows, they seem to come away with roughly the same impression.

Sean Lund (vocals & drums): This is actually a tough question. I don't usually get feedback from those that don't have positive things to say (they usually want to talk to us because they liked what was happening) so I'm not sure that what I write will be an accurate reflection of what a random sample of people that see us think of us. Nevertheless, I'll say this, those that have shared their thoughts on the matter usually say they like our harmonies and/or our songs. Those are the two most common elements that seem to endear us to whatever level of endearing we might be capable. I suppose it's natural to like what you do and so I agree that those are two of our strengths.

In a perfect world, here's how I would like us to be described: "They are a great fucking band!" Of course, there are always going to be detractors too but I'd rather not spend time thinking about such things... life's not long enough.

Gwon Chang (bass & backing vocals): I think others would describe us as tight, energetic and musical. I think others would see Chris on guitar and be blown away by his shredding. I think others would hear Sean singing and think to themselves, “Huh. A drummer singing lead!” I see us as a very musical band that has a lot of fun playing out and about.

2. Who are your favorite NW bands and why?

Chris Lund: Llama, the Tripwires and the Young Sportsmen are current faves - also Girl Trouble. They're bands that have their own unique style and also are great to do shows with.

Sean Lund
: I'll probably reiterate what my brother and Gwon have said but I'm definitely into Llama at the moment. There are a bunch of great songs on the last record (there's going to be a new one shortly I hear) that knock me out and a couple that just kill me like "Right Now" and "Come On Come On." I love the Tripwires too, and not just because we have played shows with them. They have something that is unique and they are all great players who seem to play the right notes at all times. As far as T-town (or any town for that matter), I really enjoy Girl Trouble. Their live shows are a blast and they are some of the nicest people around.

Young Sportsmen because they rock like The Who with great harmonies and songs. Finally, I've always been a huge Posies fan. We worked with Ken Stringfellow in the studio a few years back and it was a lot of fun. Oh and I can't forget Death Cab. I first saw them at Bumbershoot in 2001 and was hooked right away. It's great that they're now doing so well. I love Chris Walla's production: intricate textural layering with Rhodes piano and Ben Gibbard's great lyrics.

Gwon Chang: I’m a big fan of the Young Sportsmen (they’re so nice!), Llama (they’re so nice, too!), Twink the Wonder Kid/Root Beer Barrels (they’re funny without being stupid. Plus, they rock!), Upwell (not necessarily pop, but a great local band, nonetheless). Oh, yeah! The Tripwires (so, so good at pop!).

3. What are your feelings about the state of pop music in the Northwest and Seattle in particular?

Chris Lund: It's better that it's been in the past. I never got the whole grunge thing.

Sean Lund: I'm happy with where things have gone lately but I suppose it can always be better. I love the fact that pop bands are getting good shows because it seemed like there weren't many opportunities once upon a time not so long ago. I live in Tacoma so I wish there were more clubs to play down here. Not that there aren't good ones; there are. Just not enough of them. I dig the fact that we have a lot of summer festivals in the area that offer lots of local acts but I'm pissed that they took the extra day off Bumbershoot. I'm also distressed at the cost as it's becoming a bit out of reach for those that produce the art that fills the stages, booths, lawns, speakers, and exhibition halls. I suppose these are common growing pains for such a popular festival. Nonetheless...

Gwon Chang: The S.O.P.I.S. (State Of Pop In Seattle) is good. Now if we could only get all the indie scenesters to jump on board.

4. If you could be the opening act for any band, any time period, who would that be and why?

Chris Lund: The Raspberries or Queen back in 1974.

Sean Lund: U2; right now. I know they're so huge that it's not cool to talk them up too much but U2 in concert is the closest thing to a spiritual experience that I've, well... experienced. I've seen every tour since 1987 and, with the exception of the Pop Mart tour, the experience is as good now as it was when they were hungry kids. It is unabashedly stadium rock, but the grand scale of the notes of Edge's guitar playing and Bono's vocals seem to require it, but not for
pomposity or egos' sake. They are a band of amazing positive energy and big ideas musically and lyrically and those qualities are extremely appealing to me, more now than ever as I get older, hopefully wiser, and try to maintain my idealism and an open mind.

Gwon Chang: Open for? I thought the question said “see”. Oh well. I’d like to have opened for Boston right about when Boston was released (’75-’76?). Or, completely mismatched, I’d like to have opened for Rush circa Permanent Waves. Just because I love Rush. Actually, I’d loved to have seen those shows as well!

5. What's the latest news from you guys and what's on the horizon?

Chris Lund: We've got some songs completed for our upcoming CD which we hope to have a Summer/Fall release date.

Sean Lund: We're going into the studio in a few weeks and I'm so damn excited that I can hardly sleep. We've got a bunch of songs (hopefully a few really good ones) and we'll be recording all summer with a prospective Autumn release. This one will likely be a single CD this time around. We released a double CD last time and I loved it but the format made it difficult to enjoy the album in it's entirety. I enjoy both records but it frustrates me no end that there isn't more
unity there.

On a personal note, my brother and his wife just had a baby boy and it's great. I love being an uncle; twice now. He's going to be a musician I think... [blogger's note: Congratulations!!]

Gwon Chang: We’re always looking to book shows. We are heading to the studio to work on more tunes and hope to have some new music for the masses soon.

6. What's something people don't know about The Lund Bros?

Chris Lund: Ha Ha. Oh, I couldn't tell you that. We've got to maintain a bit of an aura of mystery, eh?

Sean Lund: Hmmm... a hard question to start with and a hard one to end on... Okay, I think I got one: We had a "spec" deal back in 1997 with Geffen records under our former name "Loser". We recorded a demo at Moon Studio in Olympia and sent it to the A&R rep that requested the material. Of course we were completely crushed when the guy told us we sounded "too much like the Beatles." I really don't think we do sound like the Beatles, particularly nowadays, but I suppose the criticism takes us nicely back to the now-answered unanswered part of the first question; apparently life is long enough! Now that my answers seem to have a nice bit of symmetry, I'll wind it up here.

Gwon Chang: Chris is mysterious. Me? I’m an open book. Something interesting is that Chris and Sean are actually brothers! And, if they seem familiar to you, it’s because you’ve seen them as Loser and/or International Pop Overthrow in years past.

No comments: